Sydney practises in the areas of commercial law and equity, real property including easements, covenants, strata and building and construction law. Sydney’s experience in easement matters includes:
- Applications to restrain the servient owner from obstructing the use of an easement
- Section 88K applications
- Applications for declaratory relief in respect of easement rights
- Whether easements have become obsolete through disuse or by reason of changes in the character of the neighbourhood
- Issues pertaining to both common law and Torrens title
- Whether a legal practitioner has been negligent by not giving advice in the context of the sale of land, that there was no easement securing the right of the purchaser to retain a particular utility service in place
- Whether there is an equitable easement, by estoppel, to maintain in situ the signage of a major CBD hotel
Sydney holds a Master of Laws from the University of Cambridge.
He is the sole author of two major loose-leaf services for Thomson Reuters: Commercial Damages and Injunctions: Law & Practice. He is a frequent presenter at CPD Seminars, some of which are linked below.
Sydney has appeared before tribunals, such as the Consumer Trade & Tenancy Tribunal, NCAT, Industrial Relations Commission, Crime Commission and the Independent Commission Against Corruption as well as at technical references, numerous mediations and arbitrations.
Sydney is an arbitrator and expert determiner approved by the NSW Bar Association and an NMAS certified mediator.
Prior to being called to the Bar, Sydney was a solicitor in the Construction Divisions of Minter Ellison Morris Fletcher (now Minter Ellison) and Deacon Graham & James (now Norton Rose Fulbright).
For any enquiries, or to brief Sydney, please contact our clerk Paul Walker at (02) 8915 5102.