27 Apr Recent News
The barristers at 13 Wentworth Chambers are committed to working collaboratively with their instructing solicitors and each other to address the challenges presented by the Covid-19 pandemic. One of those challenges is the preparation of fully electronic briefs. To assist with this please click on this link for our Guide to Preparing and Sending an Electronic Brief.
In this time of enormous change, 13 Wentworth has been working hard to ensure we deliver the seamless, high quality service our instructors and clients expect from us. As a result of COVID-19 measures, face-to-face hearings have now been replaced with audio-visual and phone link ups, which have given rise to new challenges to advocates appearing in courts.
Digital advocacy is now a critical skill and we expect it will remain so – even after the current pandemic.
We are pleased to advise that the barristers on 13 Wentworth are equipped and ready to meet the challenges of this new advocacy environment.
We are meeting this challenge in two key ways:
- Technology – All floor members and staff have been building competency and familiarity with the various technologies being used in each court
- Capacity building – We have focused on rapid upskilling in digital advocacy through internal CPD training and knowledge sharing of individual member experiences across the various practice areas.
This training is ongoing and we are continually assessing potential future needs to ensure we are ready for further changes as they unfold.
Our barristers already have extensive experience in online and virtual court appearances. Since the Covid 19 restrictions commenced our appearances have included:
- NSW Court of Appeal and Court of Criminal Appeal hearings via the Virtual Court Portal
- Video hearing before the Dental Council of NSW
- Notices of Motion and applications in the Supreme court using the virtual court
- Numerous Telephone directions in the Supreme court Judge’s lists and registrar’s lists, Federal Court, Federal Circuit Court, District Court, Family Court
- The District Court over a number of days successfully setting aside a subpoena issued by the accused because it would have been in contempt of the Family Court
- Submissions on damages in the Supreme Court by telephone
- Numerous video and telephone Mediations as both counsel and mediator
- Court Annexed mediations via videoconference
- Informal settlement conferences by video and telephone
Our Counsel are presently booked to conduct online hearings and appearances in the:
- Full Court of the Federal Court of Australia
- NSW Court of Appeal
- Federal Court of Australia
- Family Court of Australia
- Supreme Court of NSW
- Supreme Court of Tasmania
- NSW Land & Environment Court
- Federal Circuit Court
- NSW District Court
- NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal
- Administrative Appeals Tribunal
- Fair Work Commission
13 Wentworth is committed to continuing to offer exceptional service to our clients and responding to the pace of change demanded by the present environment. We remain focused on continuous improvement through training and development initiatives. Rest assured that we are ready and able to assist our clients in all courts as always, and we are able to take on new work in these and any other jurisdictions.
If you need any further information about our barristers please contact Paul Walker – Barristers’ Clerk on 8915 5102 or by email.
Congratulations to our 14 counsel who have been listed in the new “Best Lawyers Australia: 2021 Edition”.
- Jodi Steele for Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Insurance Law sees Teni Berberian, Greg Laughton SC, Matthew Hutchings, Jodi Steele, Mark McCulloch SC and Michael Windsor SC listed
- Greg Laughton SC has been listed for International Arbitration
- Jodi Steele and Christopher Wood SC have been recognised in the area of Litigation
- Stuart Kettle, Matthew Hutchings, Patrick Rooney and Michael Windsor SC for Medical Negligence Law
- Michael Windsor SC is listed for Health & Aged Care Law
- Colin Hodgson has been noted in the area of Trusts and Estates
- Raphael Perla for Personal Injury Litigation
- Planning & Environmental Law and also Real Property Law see Clifford Ireland recognised
- Product Liability Litigation for Greg Laughton SC
- Mark McCulloch SC & Michael Windsor SC are listed for Professional Malpractice Litigation
- Matthew Hutchings for Public Law and also Police Law
- James Thomson is listed for Insolvency & Reorganization Law
- Construction / Infrastructure Law see Bill McManus recognised
We are very pleased to congratulate 7 of our members who have been listed in Doyle’s Wills, Estates & Succession Planning Law Rankings – NSW, 2019 they are: